Events for 2011/12 Please call us on 01522 686340 for more information 




Tuesday 6th - Conference

Wednesday 14th - Conference

Monday 19th - Conference

Monday 26th - Conference

Friday 30th - Celebration


Wednesday  5th - Conference

Saturday 8th - Birthday

Thursday 13th - Conference

Friday 14th - Race Night

Sunday 23rd - Christening

 Friday 28th - Sportsmans Evening



Tuesday 8th - Conference

Friday 11th - Help for Heroes

Tuesday 15th - Conference

Sunday 20th - Christening

Friday 26th - Dinner & Dance








"Thank you" notes

Dear Rebecca

Just a little note to say thank you for all of your help and support whilst planning my 30th birthday party, and also the night.

Many of my guests commented on how nice the Lincoln Suite is and also that the food was very good too.

Please pass on my thanks to all of your staff for helping my party run so smoothly.

With many thanks



Dear Rebecca,

Just a quick note to say thank you for making Lauren's christening such a great day. Your staff were very helpful and everybody enjoyed themselves so thank you again.







Friday 24th June 2011


Professional football careerAn Aston Villa supporter, Sharpe began his career at Torquay United. However, in his first season with them, after only 16 games, Manchester United noted his potential and swooped to sign him in June 1988 for £200,000, a record fee at the time for a YTS player. 

Sharpe made his debut for Manchester United on 24 September 1988 as a substitute in a 2–0 win over West Ham United in the Football League First Division. His first team chances increased in November with the departure of the club's first choice left winger Jesper Olsen, and were further enhanced when new signing Ralph Milne failed to live up to expectations. Sharpe ended the 1988–89 season with 22 league appearances to his name, although he failed to score and United finished a disappointing 11th in the league a year after finishing second. He played 30 games in all competitions that season.

The following season, Sharpe found the net for the first time in a United shirt, scoring in the 5–1 home win over Millwall on 16 September 1989. He managed 18 appearances in the league that season (and 20 in all competitions), but failed to make the squad for the FA Cup final which United won 1–0 against Crystal Palace in a replay after drawing 3–3 in the first match. Alex Ferguson had chosen new signing Danny Wallace as his first choice left winger for the 1989–90 season.

He played a key part in United's success in the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1990–91 scoring with a left foot pile-driver into the top corner in the home leg of the semi-final against Legia Warsaw (1–1). He also famously scored a hat-trick against Arsenal at Highbury in the League Cup fourth round on 28 November 1990. United eventually won the game 6–2. Sharpe himself cites this as one of the best memories in his footballing career.[citation needed] He was now United's first choice left winger ahead of Danny Wallace, although a new rival for the left wing position was emerging in the shape of highly promising 17-year-old Ryan Giggs.

Having established himself as a left winger, Sharpe earned a call up to the England squad, although he was unable to replace John Barnes as first choice left winger. Unfortunately, he was then out of the game for long periods of time through injury and illness (he suffered from viral meningitis in the autumn of 1992) and when his fitness recovered, the form of Ryan Giggs meant he had normally to play out of position at left back (by now the preferred position for Denis Irwin) or on the right wing, competing for a place with Andrei Kanchelskis who had arrived in March 1991. Sharpe is well remembered for his memorable goal against Barcelona during the 2–2 draw in the 1994–1995 Champions League season's group stage, when he spectacularly back-heeled a cross from Roy Keane into the corner of the net. He also got an assist in this game, crossing for Mark Hughes' opening header.

1994–95 was a difficult season for United, with many players out for significant periods due to injury. Sharpe was one of them, as he missed a string of mid season games due to a fractured ankle, though he had more opportunities to play on the left wing as Ryan Giggs missed a quarter of the campaign due to injuries, and most of Sharpe's appearances came as a left back as the regular player in that position, Denis Irwin, spent most of the campaign playing on the right side of defence left vacant by a long absence by Paul Parker, though Irwin was back at left back towards the end of the season following the emergence of right-back Gary Neville. United ended the season without a major trophy, finishing second to Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League as they failed to manage anything better than a 1–1 draw at West Ham on the final day of the season, and losing 1–0 to Everton in the FA Cup final.

By the start of the 1995–96, Andrei Kanchelskis had been sold to Everton and it seemed possible that Sharpe could establish himself as United's right winger – particularly when he scored twice for United in their 3–2 win over Everton on 9 September 1995.

With Ryan Giggs returning to fitness on the left wing, and Denis Irwin returning to left back following the emergence of Gary Neville as the club's regular right back, the right hand side of midfield seemed Sharpe's best opportunity of regular first team action. However, 20-year-old David Beckham made the first team breakthrough that season and left Sharpe with nothing like a guaranteed place in the first eleven, though he was selected in the squad for all but eight competitive games that season, during which United became the first English team to win the double twice. He still took to the field in 31 out of 38 Premier League games, scoring four goals. His first goal of the season came at Blackburn Rovers on 28 August, as a relatively strong United side recorded their third successive league win after being beaten by Aston Villa on the opening day. In their next game at Everton on 9 September, Sharpe scored twice as United achieved an impressive 3–2 win. His next (and final) league goal for United came on 10 February 1996 when he scored the only goal of the game against Blackburn Rovers, as United kept up the pressure on leaders Newcastle who had been 10 points ahead at Christmas. Sharpe also managed two FA Cup goals that season, the winner against Manchester City in the fifth round at Old Trafford on 18 February, and the second in the last minute of a 2–0 home win over Southampton in the quarter finals on 11 March. He was selected as a substitute in the 1–0 FA Cup final win over Liverpool on 11 May, but did not come onto the pitch, though he still picked up his second FA Cup winner's medal, which was ultimately the last major trophy of his career just before his 25th birthday. In total he played 265 games for Manchester United over eight years, scoring 36 goals.

Despite his injury history, Leeds United signed him for £4.5 million in the summer of 1996, making him their record signing. Again his time at Leeds was beset by further injuries. He made 26 Premiership appearances in 1996–97, scoring five goals, but a pre-season knee injury ruled him out for the entire 1997–98 season and he was unable to regain his place in the team on recovery.

In the autumn of 1998, he was loaned to Italian Serie A strugglers Sampdoria, but soon fell out of favour and in the New Year he returned to England. He signed on loan for Bradford City in March 1999 and he helped in securing the club's promotion to the Premiership after 77 years outside the top division. He joined Bradford in a £250,000 deal during the summer and helped preserve the club's Premiership status in 1999–2000. In 2000–01, Sharpe lost his place in the Bradford team and just before Christmas went on loan to Division One Portsmouth. He returned to Bradford during the 2001–02 season but when his contract expired at the end of the season he was given a free transfer. Following a brief trial stay with Grimsby Town he signed for Exeter City before he moved to Grindavík in Iceland. In June 2003 he announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 32. Just before this, he was rumoured to be on the verge of taking over as player-manager at Bury in Division Three.



Friday 18th March 2011

David_JohnsonDavid Johnson was already a well-known striker scoring 46 goals in 187 league matches for Everton and Ipswich before going to Liverpool. He actually scored as a 20 year old against Liverpool in the Goodison 'derby' on 13th November 1971, a feat he would also repeat for Liverpool at Goodison in 1980. Although picked from the start for the first 8 First Division fixtures of 1976-77, many of David's 26 league appearances that year were from the substitute's bench but he still easily qualified for the first of his three league championship medals. David scored in the final league match of the season, away to Bristol City, and that was enough to earn him a place in the FA cup final team to meet Manchester United. But he was substituted by Ian Callaghan during the final and 'Cally' kept his place for the European cup final in Rome four days later. Injured for much of the next season, Johnson again missed out on a European medal in 1978 but finally achieved his dream by being part of the side that lifted the trophy for the third time at the Parc des Princes, Paris in 1981.

Johnson finally managed to establish himself in the 1978-79 season, followed by his best season scoring 27 goals in 1979-80, forming a powerful partnership with Dalglish. That form earned him 8 England caps and he scored twice in a 3-1 win against world champions Argentina at Wembley in 1980. Ian Rush's emergence in 1981 relegated Johnson to the bench and he re-signed for his first club Everton in August 1982.

Ian_SnodinIan Snodin is an almost unique figure in modern football insomuch as he declined an invitation which few receive and virtually no one declines when he turned down the chance to join Liverpool in January 1987. Having established himself an an aggressiv e, yet thoughtful, midfielder in a struggling Leeds United side during the mid-eighties, Snodin was pursued by several leading clubs but only two - Everton and Liverpool - were willing to meet an asking price of 840,000 pounds. Having agreed personal term s with Kenny Dalglish, Snodin was expected to move to Anfield but an eleventh-hour intervention by Howard Kendall proved to be decisive and within a matter of hours he had pledged his future to Everton. Although his never-say-die attitude was warmly recei ved by the Goodison public it was not until Snodin was pressed into service as an emergency right-back that he truly began to flourish. His transformation from midfielder to defender was accomplished with such speed and in such style that he was called up into the full England squad for a friendly international in Greece in February 1989. Unfortunately, Snodin was forced to withdraw because of injury and his problems were compounded a matter of only a few weeks later when he was carried off during a game against Sheffield Wednesday with a serious hamstring problem. Despite lengthy periods of rest and several operations, Snodin struggled to regain his fitness and spent the whole of the 1991-92 season convalescing.


John_Stiles_2John Stiles  was born in Manchester in 1964. John Stiles spent 5 years as a professional footballer with Leeds United. John, however will always be known as a son of Nobby. His father of course is 1966 World Cup Winning hero and former Man Utd legend Nobby Stiles.

Once his football career was over, finishing with Doncaster Rovers John then moved into the football agency industry, including working for the same Management Company that looked after  the SPICE GIRLS.

John then progressed onto the 'After Dinner' Speaker circuit and can also compere and (MC) Master of Ceremonies which then developed into him turning to the world of comedy where he has now established himself as one of the most popular acts on the circuit. John also prides himself on the fact that his act is very original and funny with a great emphasis on voices and impressions which sets him apart.


CHRIS KAMARA sportsmans evening

Friday 26th November 2010


Chris is a former professional footballer who played for 11 teams during his career, including being part of the 1989/90 Championship-winning Leeds squad under Howard Wilkinson.

Once retired from playing with his last team, Bradford City, he became Manager with the Bantams.

It was during his two-year management stint that the team was promoted into the First Division for 1995/96 and it was Chris who assembled most of the team that moved up again, into the Premiership.

Chris began commentating in 1996 while he was still a manager, working for Sky Sports, Yorkshire TV, and for Radio 5.

After finishing in football management Chris initially enjoyed a dual role of commentator/presenter when he linked up with Rob Hawthorne on Friday evenings for live Nationwide football and Rob McCaffrey on Sundays for a show called Soccer Extra.

For the 2001-2002 season, Chris again teamed up with Rob McCaffrey to review the previous day's top-flight action in England and Scotland with informed studio guests in a new look show called Goals on Sunday.

Chris also continues to offer his unique live opinions on Gillette Soccer Saturday where he reports on matches, live from the gantry at Premiership matches.

Chris can also be seen most Saturday mornings on Soccer AM.

Chris' popularity has risen thanks to his appearances on Soccer Saturday where during one show he missed the sending off of Portsmouth's Anthony Vanden Borre. The video has gone on to be a Youtube sensation!


Friday 4th June 2010

mini-dean saunders

                        Paul Logan, Dean Saunders and Brian Logan

Dean Saunders had long been admired by football fans for his exploits with Derby and Liverpool fans saw him as a big signing when he arrived along with Mark Wright from Derby.

Saunders was out of the game for nearly two years when he started his career at Swansea and was on his way on a free transfer to Australia when the Brighton manager spotted him in a reserve game. He scored 23 goals in his first season at Brighton. First division Oxford bought him the following season in March 1987 for 60,000 pounds as Brighton were struggling for money. Former Liverpool favourite, Mark Lawrenson, was manager at the time with Robert Maxwell as his boss. After scoring 33 goals in 73 games Saunders was sold against the wishes of Lawrenson to Derby in October 1988 and Lawro resigned. Saunders scored a decent enough 57 goals in 131 games for Derby, which Robert Maxwell owned as well.

Son of former Liverpool wing-half, Roy, Dean played in a struggling Liverpool side, whose passing game didn't suit him at all. He was used to Derby's counter-attacking style, scoring many of his Derby goals by using his exceptional pace. A cash-flow problem was said to be the reason he was sold off after only one full season at Liverpool. Souness was left to suffer at the hands of Deano only 9 days after his departure from Liverpool, when he scored two goals in a 4-2 Villa victory.

Dean was reunited with Graeme Souness when the pair spent the 1995-96 season together with Galatasaray in Turkey. For Saunders it was a fairly successful season and 15 goals from 27 Turkish League matches must have helped him secure a contract with Nottingham Forest in 1996. But he spent only one season at The City Ground then had a similarly short spell with Sheffield United before he again moved abroad in 1998, this time to Benfica in Portugal where once again his manager was Souness. Dean returned to England after a single season based in Lisbon and joined Bradford City, spending two seasons with them before retiring as a player shortly before his 37th birthday.

Following his retirement as a player, Dean Saunders became a coach at Bradford before again linking up with Graeme Souness not once but twice ... at first Blackburn Rovers then Newcastle United. But when Newcastle sacked Souness early in 2006, Saunders lost his job as well. In the following year he began taking the Certificate in Football Management course run by the University of Warwick; and this led to him being granted his UEFA Pro Licence coaching badge, a qualification that allowed him to be appointed as Assistant Manager to John Toshack with the Welsh national team.

In October 2008 Saunders replaced Brian Little as manager of Wrexham, with the club from north Wales now in the Conference following their relegation from the Football League earlier in the year. The responsibility of being a football club manager did not prevent Saunders from retaining his position with the national team. Although Wrexham's results were very poor towards the end of the 2008-09 season, early in August 2009 the club announced that Dean Saunders had signed "a new one-year rolling contract at the Racecourse".


Barry Fry Sportsmans Evening

Friday 5th March 2010

mini-barry fry

                        Brian Logan, Barry Fry and Paul Logan


Barry Fry was born on April 7, 1945. He has been an football manager and is currently Chairman of Peterborough United FC. A former Manchester United apprentice as a winger (his playing career involved brief spells with Bolton, Luton and Leyton Orient), who retired prematurely due to injury. He has managed Dunstable Town F.C., Bedford Town F.C., Maidstone United F.C., Southend United F.C., Barnet, Birmingham City and Peterborough United.

In 1973, Dunstable Town received the financial backing of Keith Cheesman. He hired a young Barry Fry as manager, and gave him money to build up a strong team; indeed in his autobiography, Fry claims that he was often given blank, signed cheques. Of note, both Jeff Astle and George Best were brought in to play for the team (Best only actually playing three competitive games). Fry was later dismissed by Cheeseman's successor, Billy Kitt, after a poor performance in the Southern League.

In 1979 Barry became Barnet manager for the first of two management spells covering almost 13 seasons. In his first spell, Barnet maintained a mid-table position in the Alliance League for 6 seasons before Barry left in December 1985 to manage Maidstone. He returned to Barnet in August 1986 for a further 7 seasons. Three times runners-up in the GM Vauxhall Conference, Barry achieved his first managerial success as Champions in 1990/91. Two years later he guided them towards the new Division Two (leaving two months before the end of the season to manage Southend) despite being sacked eight times and reinstated each time by controversial chairman Stan Flashman, as well as being in charge of a club which was in a precarious financial state and under threat of expulsion from the Football League.

At Birmingham City, he won the Division Two championship in 1995. During the 1995-96 season, Fry guided the Blues to the semi-finals of the League Cup but was sacked after their mid-season promotion hopes faded and the club finished 15th in Division One.

Just after leaving Birmingham, Fry became chairman-manager of Peterborough United. They were relegated to Division Three in his first season at the helm but they regained their Division Two status three years later. Fry's nine-year reign as manager came to an end in May 2005 after they were relegated again. He owns the football team (but not the stadium, although he is a director of the Holding Company which owns it) and was the Chairman for the 2005-2006 season. This season witnessed the departure of Mark Wright and Steve Bleasdale as first team manager. He stepped aside as Chairman on 18th September 2006, but continues have a majority shareholding, and is the current Director of Football. He described his successor as chairman, Darragh MacAnthony who now has purchased 200 shares, as "The best signing Peterborough have ever made". MacAnthony has stated his ultimate goal is to become the sole owner of the club.

Fry starred in a documentary called There's Only One Barry Fry.

The programme included some of Fry's dressing room antics, including a row with Mick Bodley and his promise to get the Posh out of the division. He did - they got relegated!

Barry is a character from the game and has some fascinating and extremely funny stories to share.


NEIL "RAZOR" RUDDOCK Sportsmans Evening

Neil_RuddockGraeme Souness signed hard man Neil ‘Razor’ Ruddock from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 1993 for 2.5 million to add steel to the defence. Souness saw him as the ideal partner for Mark Wright but it didn’t quite work out like that. He already had a reputation as a hard=2 0man and his Anfield debut in a Red shirt was controversial to say the least. In Ronnie Whelan’s testimonial a clash with former Red hero Peter Beardsley now playing for Newcastle, left the striker with a fractured cheekbone.

Ruddock made his Liverpool debut against Sheffield Wednesday at Anfield and set up one of the goals in a 2-0 win for Nigel Clough, then followed that up in his third game by scoring his first goal against Swindon Town.
His best moment from the 1993-94 season was scoring an equaliser in the 3-3 draw with Manchester United at Anfield, with a thumping header past Peter Schmeichel. In fact he did not know he had scored. After the game it transpired Ruddock was suffering from concussion and only realised afterwards what that goal had meant.

When Roy Evans took charge at Anfield, he used a different defensive formula with Ruddock playing as one of three centre halves and he looked more comfortable in this role.
He played his part in the club winning the Coca Cola Cup, when he played in the 2-1 win against Bolton Wanderers at Wembley.
However the following season he experienced what he called ‘his worst moment in football,’ when Roy Evans left him out of the FA Cup Final squad to face Manchester United at Wembley. His replacement was Phil Babb and Liverpool lost 1-0. They badly missed Razor’s steel and fighting spirit and Evans later admitted he had made a mistake.
Fighting fit and raring to go at the start of the 1996-97 season disaster struck for Ruddock when he injured his groin just before the big kick-off against Middlesbrough and the remainder of his career at Anfield was to be blighted by niggling injuries.
Ruddock’s final game for Liverpool was a disappointing affair as Liverpool lost 3-0 to Strasbourg in the UEFA Cup.
He then moved to West Ham United before a spell with Crystal Palace.
Ruddock finished his playing career as player-coach assisting Roy Evans at Swindon Town.












           Brian Logan, Dave Bassett and Paul Logan

Dave “Harry” Bassett is without doubt one of football's colourful characters. Affectionately known as 'Harry', he plied his trade at several clubs with considerable success including:
Wimbledon, Watford, Sheffield United, Crystal Palace, Nottingham Forest, Barnsley, Leicester City and of course previously with Saints.
He is probably best known for guiding Wimbledon FC to the First Division in the 1980s after taking over from Dario Gradi at Plough Lane in 1981. Considering the fact that Wimbledon had only been elected to the Football League in 1977, it was an astounding achievement.
Bassett formed the original 'Crazy Gang' and although he left in 1987, many of the players he had signed took The Dons to an unexpected FA Cup victory in 1988 against the great Liverpool side under Bobby Gould. 
His credentials as a hard-working and successful motivator are well-renowned.
'Harry' remains a valued, extremely committed and well-respected member of the League Managers Association.
He is also one of a trio on the panel that votes for the Scottish Mutual Performance of the Week, alongside Sir Alex Ferguson and Howard Wilkinson.


Ron_AtkinsonRonald Frederick 'Big Ron' Atkinson was born on 18 March 1939 in Liverpool and is a former football player and manager. In recent years he has become one of Britain's best-known football pundits. He is perhaps most famous for his idiosyncratic turn of phrase: his utterances have become known as "Big-Ronisms" or "Ronglish", the most famous of which is the term "early doors" (English: early), which has worked its way into the English vernacular - although in recent times, he has also attracted a lot of controversy over a racist comment broadcast on a TV sports show when he believed he was off the air.
Atkinson did not achieve great heights in his playing career. He was originally signed by Aston Villa F.C. at the age of 17, but never played a first-team match for them and was transferred to Oxford United F.C. in 1959. He went on to make over 500 appearances as a wing-half for the club, and earned the nickname "The Tank". He was United's captain through their rise from the Southern League to the Second Division, achieved in just seven seasons.

After retiring from playing, Atkinson became manager of non-league Kettering Town F.C. in 1971. Cambridge United F.C., going on to win the then Fourth Division in 1977. At the start of 1978, Atkinson moved to manage First Division West Bromwich Albion F.C. In June 1981 he became manager at Manchester United.

The 1986/87 season opened disastrously and in November 1986 with the club fourth from bottom, Atkinson was sacked. He returned to West Brom in the Autumn of 1987 for a year and then had a high-profile move to Atletico Madrid of Spain. This spell lasted a little over three months (96 days).

He was manager of Sheffield Wednesday from February 1989 to June 1991. Although the club were relegated in 1990 to the Second Division, a year later in 1991 he guided them back to promotion. They also won the League Cup by beating Manchester United 1-0 at Wembley. He offended some Sheffield Wednesday fans by saying on 31 May that he would be staying as manager, but a week later leaving to become Aston Villa manager in 1993. However, he was sacked on 10 November 1994. After this he became, for a spell, director of football at Coventry City 

His last managerial job came with Nottingham Forest F.C., who he briefly managed in 1999, fairly unsuccessfully, once climbing into the wrong dug-out and saying he thought Dennis Bergkamp was in the Forest squad.

Atkinson was already working as a pundit for ITV and after leaving management he continued in this role. For a number of years he covered most of the channel's live matches, sometimes as a studio pundit, but more often as the "ex-football insider" member of a two-man commentary team. This exposure led to "Ronglish" becoming known to a wider audience. With his permanent suntan and taste for chunky, gaudy jewellery, he was often portrayed as a loveable buffoon in the UK media.



John_BarnesBrian Logan,, John Barnes and Paul Logan

John Barnes was born in Kingston, Jamaica on November 11th 1963. His footballing career started at Watford in 1981. He then spent 10 years at Liverpool, where he helped them to win the FA Cup and two League Championships. A brilliant solo goal against Brazil marked John's arrival on the international scene and he went on to score 12 goals in 78 appearances for England.The inspirational Jamaican-born player moved to Newcastle United in the 1997-98 season, boosting their Champions League squad and turning in many impressive performances before ending his Premiership career at Charlton. John linked up with former playing colleague Kenny Dalglish to become head coach at Celtic but is now concentrating on his media career.
John has been a match analyst on ITV's coverage of international and domestic football for many years including working on coverage of the 1998 World Cup in France, Euro 2000 in Holland and Belgium and most recently the World Cup 2002 in Korea/Japan.




















Share this page